Monday, July 13, 2009

illustation possible: day one

Off to a great start! Today's random wikipedia article was:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellen_Johnson
"Ellen Johnson, president of American Atheists from 1995–2008, is an activist for atheist rights and the separation of church and state in the United States."

Never heard of her, but separation of church and state is a topic that really interests me! Politicians who mention god are like those obnoxious couples that are always all PDA in your face, keep it at home, people!

Anyhow...to the art. I decided to look at American folk art for inspiration, particularly quilts! (example below, mmm folk art)


My concept was that people and individuals in the government are the defining line between church and state, while they are free to believe whatever they wish on the inside, it's up to them to make sure their beliefs stay private particularly when dealing with political and public matters. You speak for your country, not your church.

and here's the final product.

Sewing was a new way of working for me, I actually found it really relaxing. Definitely something I'd try again :)



No comments: